The Carmelo Anthony drama could end as early as tomorrow and it could end with him back in a New York Knicks uniform, baring a last minute change of heart from Anthony.
According to Frank Isola of the New York Daily News, Anthony is ready to announce that he is going to re-sign with the Knicks and that announcement could come as early as Thursday.
A person close to Anthony told The News on Wednesday that barring a last minute change of heart Anthony will re-sign with the Knicks after “agonizing over this” for the past week.
“He will have something for everybody on Thursday,” said the friend who was with Anthony before Anthony’s scheduled workout with Kevin Durant and Kevin Love in Los Angeles on Wednesday. “He is really torn because this is the biggest decision of his career. But he wants to get it done in New York. He told me he believes in Phil.”
Anthony’s belief in Jackson, the addition of point guard Jose Calderon and of course a five-year $129 million contract offer are reasons enough for Anthony to stay put.
However I wouldn’t totally count on that as Howard Beck of Bleacher Report notes that Anthony has yet to render a decision, and the teams that have pursued him have received no definitive word on his plans.
Re Melo: Source says “no decision yet.” Teams pursuing him have not received definitive word. @FisolaNYDN reporting Melo is returning to NY.
— Howard Beck (@HowardBeck) July 9, 2014
The friend of Anthony’s, who Isola uses as a source says that Anthony has been hesitating in an effort to make sure he finds the team with the best chance to win a title, and he’s pleased with New York’s acquisition of Calderon.
But that can’t be the case as the Knicks are no closer now to winning a title than they were last season.
Then throw in the fact that Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo! Sports reports that within Anthony’s camp, the general belief has been that the idea was to take the maximum salary from the Knicks and push for a trade later if necessary.
Within Anthony’s circle, belief’s been this, sources tell Y: Get NY’s $129M now, figure out destination later. You can always get a trade.
— Adrian Wojnarowski (@WojYahooNBA) July 9, 2014
We have seen that story before.
At the end of the day we don’t know who to believe on this situation any longer, but if you believe Isola then the Melo sweepstakes could come to a close tomorrow.