In 2012, while Iman Shumpert was recovering from a torn ACL, he took to the studio to complete his mixtape Th3 #Post90s. As a rookie, Shumpert had shown off his freestyling skills (miss you, Jorts), and then with time to kill, he made a full album that had a few pretty decent tracks.
Well, with the Knicks not in the playoffs, Shumpert has apparently been back in the studio working on some new rapz. This time, he released a new video to accompany the rhymes:
A few notes on the video:
- Stylistically, Shump seems to be going for some kinda Tech N9ne vibe
- The twerking girl in her underwear got a nice role to just kinda hang out, twerk, and put on a mouse mask.
- There’s also a guy in a bear suit in the video. Shumpert is a Chicago Bears fan. Kanye West’s first two album covers had a guy in a bear suit. Shumpert is a Kanye West fan. Kanye West and Shumpert are both from Chicago…. So, Shump and Kanye are going to rap for the Chicago Bears?! You do the math.
- Beheading clowns with a samurai sword isn’t nice, Shump.
- Where the hell did they film this?
- In terms of flow, I think Shumpert is one of the best rappers in the NBA. In terms of lyrics, I think he still has a way to go, though his mixtape did have a few nice lines.
For those that may be concerned about how Shumpert is allocating his time in the off-season, he’s also been posting Instagram videos about every day of him working out and practicing, so worry not. Hell, if I had to wait another four months before training camp begins, I think I’d explore side projects, too.
We’ll see if this is a lead-up to another mixtape or if Shumpert is just having some fun.