When we last saw Baron Davis on an NBA floor, he was wearing a New York Knicks uniform being carted off the court after suffering a devastating knee injury in the Knicks first-round playoff loss to the Miami Heat in 2012.
Since then Davis has been rehabbing his knee with the Knicks and has served in an advisory role since September, and has been observing free agent workouts this week with other members of the team’s staff.
Maybe not playing basketball has driven Davis completely crazy as well, as he said earlier this month that he was abducted by aliens.
But now that his friends from another planet have delivered Davis back to the planet earth unharmed, it looks like he wants to continue his NBA career.
Davis told MSG’s Alan Hahn Wednesday night that he hopes he’s ready to play with an NBA team by the time training camps begin in October.
The 13-year veteran indicated last summer that he’d like to play again with the Knicks, so they could be the leading candidate for him. The Knicks are in the market for a third-string point guard following the retirement of bow Brooklyn Nets head coach Jason Kidd, so perhaps there’s a fit there.
The 34-year-old is a two-time All-Star whose production started to decline in a big way before ending up in New York. The Cleveland cavaliers placed him on amnesty waivers in 2011 and the Knicks picked him up after that, where he averaged 6.1 points per game with a 4.7-to-2.6 assists-to-turnover ratio in 20.5 minutes per contest for New York.
Personally, while Davis returning to the floor for the Knicks would be a nice story, there are plenty of other options who would likely be better than a 34-year old with declining skills who is coming off of a major knee injury.
I hope Davis does make a full comeback and lands an NBA job, but it shouldn’t be with the Knicks.
Follow Matt Shetler on Twitter for news, reaction and analysis from around the NBA.