When it is all said and done Carmelo Anthony may not be the NBA’s MVP, but his popularity has never been bigger than it is right now.
Anthony has capitalized on the court, leading the NBA in scoring and leading the New York Knicks on a current 12-game winning streak that has them in a good position to not only win the Atlantic Division, but also to capture the No. 2 seed in the Eastern Conference.
But Anthony is capitalizing off of the court as well as he is becoming the biggest star as the NBA prepares for its biggest stage.
Anthony moved past LeBron James into the top spot in national jersey sales, the NBA announced Tuesday morning. The numbers are based on jersey sales at the NBA Store on Fifth Avenue in Manhattan and NBAStore.com from November 2012 to now.
‘Melo’s recent run, as well as the Knicks play as of late likely has a lot to do with him overtaking LeBron, as Anthony moved up from fourth in jersey sales a season ago.
In addition to Anthony topping the list in jersey sales, the Knicks top the list when it comes to team merchandise sales.
Here is the most popular jersey sales list:
1. Carmelo Anthony, New York Knicks
2. LeBron James, Miami Heat
3. Kevin Durant, Oklahoma City Thunder
4. Kobe Bryant, Los Angeles Lakers
5. Derrick Rose, Chicago Bulls
6. Deron Williams, Brooklyn Nets
7. Dwyane Wade, Miami Heat
8. Rajon Rondo, Boston Celtics
9. Chris Paul, Los Angeles Clippers
10. Blake Griffin, Los Angeles Clippers
11. Kyrie Irving, Cleveland Cavaliers
12. Dwight Howard, Los Angeles Lakers
13. Russell Westbrook, Oklahoma City Thunder
14. Amar’e Stoudemire, New York Knicks
15. Paul Pierce, Boston Celtics
Top 10 Most Popular Merchandise (by Team)
1. New York Knicks
2. Miami Heat
3. Los Angeles Lakers
4. Brooklyn Nets
5. Chicago Bulls
6. Boston Celtics
7. Oklahoma City Thunder
8. Los Angeles Clippers
9. San Antonio Spurs
10. Philadelphia 76ers
Follow Matt Shetler on Twitter for news, reaction and analysis from around the NBA.