It’s finally come, after six mega-failure seasons, an Amar’e Stoudemire signing, and a blockbuster acquisition of Carmelo Anthony, the Knicks are back in the playoffs. Not that I’d gotten used to New York’s drought or anything, but this almost feels like we’re breaking the rules; like we aren’t supposed to be in the postseason; like to play basketball in May is to taste a forbidden fruit. But damn, doesn’t forbidden fruit taste the best? Hop the stile. Playoff/Clyde Frazier tribute edition.
* I think Dwyane Wade wants a piece of New York.
* Now that there’s no fear of jinxing any postseason party, it’s time to rest Amar’e.
“Looks like Amar’e is in a funk,” said one Eastern Conference GM this past week, after watching Stoudemire play without his normal maniacal intensity in the Knicks’ wins over Orlando and New Jersey, while Anthony was putting up more than 30 points and getting the shots in crunch time in both games. “But you could expect that when they made the trade for Carmelo.”
* This Bill Walker dunk was briefly mentioned in our recap last night. Here it is in visual form.
* Times recap.
“That was the first goal,” D’Antoni said of making the playoffs. “It would be nice to have home-court advantage, but we didn’t do that. Other than that, this is as good as we can do up to this point. Now we have to keep getting better defensively, rebounding, all the little stuff.”
* There’s nothing quite like your favorite team’s success combining itself with a rap song.
* In case you ain’t heaaaaard, Carmelo hit up the good people over at Saturday Night Live this weekend.
* When the Knicks go to the playoffs, poetry is produced!