Last night, in his long awaited and much anticipated debut with the Knicks, Carmelo Anthony scored 27 points and grabbed 10 rebounds—leading his team in both categories. The performance wasn’t overwhelming but it was impressive, and with it comes the serious weight of expectations. This is New York. A place where the response to a 27 and 10 tally against Milwaukee will soon snowball into a “so where’s the 30, 15, and 8 nightly line?” outcry. But, for one night, the people seem content. And so here we give you our daily links. Spoiler Alert! A lot of people are really excited.
* Let’s start with the basics.
* This will send chills down your spine. Guaranteed.
* Can the Knicks reach Yankee status?
* Funny, but let’s hope this isn’t you.
* Bloomberg gets in on the action.
* Isiah Thomas involvement is obviously the most worrisome, incredibly damaging long-term scenario any team, person, or fan base could ever have. But is it true? And why does James Dolan squint so much?
*When I said a lot of people were really excited, this guy wasn’t one of them.
* Neither is Rick Reilly.
* Last night was great for New York, and better for the Knicks. But how does Carmelo fit into D’Antoni’s offensive system?
* Let’s not forget Mr. Big Shot. While he may be 34 and on the decline, Billups is a better shooter and decision maker than Raymond Felton. Whether or not his legs can hold up is another story.