Donnie Walsh has already made it known that he will not name a GM until after this summer’s free agent frenzy, but there are already a few candidates on Walsh’s radar.
Walsh’s short list consists of Chris Mullin and Kiki Vandeweghe, but perhaps Walsh needs to look in another direction to take on the GM role.
Mullin was the Golden State Warriors GM from 2004-2009 after the Warriors didn’t renew his contract.
Now let us take a look at Mullin’s track record, but let me warn you it’s absolutely awful.
*Named Mike Montgomery head coach
*Selected forward Andris Biedrins (11th overall pick).
*Traded guard Nick Van Exel to the Portland Trail Blazers for guard Dan Dickau and center Dale Davis
* Re-signed center Erick Dampier and traded him with guard Dan Dickau, center Evan Eschmeyer and the draft rights to guard Steve Logan to the Dallas Mavericks for forwards Eduardo Najera and Christian Laettner, the draft rights to guard Luis Flores and forward Mladen Sekularac, two first-round picks and cash.
* Traded two second-round picks to the Phoenix Suns for forward Zarko Cabarkapa and waived forward Ansu Sesay.
* Selected forwards Ike Diogu (9th overall pick) and Chris Taft (42nd overall pick) and guard Monta Ellis (40th overall pick).
* Selected centers Patrick O’Bryant (9th overall pick) and Kosta Perovic (38th overall pick).
* Traded guard Derek Fisher to the Utah Jazz for guards Devin Brown, Keith McLeod and Andre Owens.
* Named Don Nelson head coach.
*Traded guard Jason Richardson and the draft rights to forward Jermareo Davidson to the Charlotte Bobcats for the draft rights to forward Brandan Wright and cash.
*Selected guard Marco Belinelli (18th overall pick) and forwards Jermareo Davidson (36th overall pick) and Stephane Lasme (46th overall pick).
* Signed head coach Don Nelson to a new contract.
* Signed guard Troy Hudson.
* Selected forwards Anthony Randolph (14th overall pick) and Richard Hendrix (49th overall pick).
* Signed guard Corey Maggette and signed forward Ronny Turiaf to an offer sheet.
* Traded a conditional first-round pick to the New Jersey Nets for guard Marcus Williams.
* Traded guard Speedy Claxton, center Dale Davis and cash to the New Orleans Hornets for guard Baron Davis; traded guard Luis Flores, forward Eduardo Najera and a 2007 first-round pick to the Denver Nuggets for forwards Rodney White and Nikoloz Tskitishvili.
So, in regards to the St. Johns legend, sorry, but no thank you.
I’m not going to dive in depth into Kiki’s moves just because he’s only been a GM for a few years and didn’t destroy a franchise like Mullin did with the Warriors.
Kiki drafted Carmelo Anthony in 2003, traded for Camby in 2002, hired George Karl, and traded for Kenyon Martin.
Kiki has worked for the Nets recently, and showed how awful of a head coach he is this past season, but luckily he’d just be Walsh’s puppet in New York and not have to worry about the coaching side of things. Kiki drafted well for the Nets by drafting Terrence Williams, Brook Lopez, etc.
Kiki really hasn’t proven much in this league, but if I have to chose between these two I’m taking Kiki and I think Walsh will too.